Saturday, January 11, 2014

January Cold

It's cold out there little fella.  I got to do some birding chasing good winter birds, that I'd rather get now, then have to wait until fall time to get. So on Jan 4th, I drove up to Marysville Reservoir off Raymond Rd in Union county.  A big month birder for Union county(Blake Mathyis) reported some ducks and geese up there.  Marysville is always a unique place to bird. I call it testing grounds for Alaska birding, because its very windy and no coverage from the elements. You just have to take it in all times.  The walk around the reservoir is about 2.5 miles, but just walking half with a scope can do you best, and it only takes 30 minutes.

2 Snow Geese

I found 2 Snow Geese, mixed in with the Canada's.  Also there was a report of a Cackling Goose, but I didn't see him, so I'll have to find one latter




After 30 mins, and before my face froze off(I need a polar head scarf) I got a call from good ol' Uncle Mike. He said it's cold, windy, and snowy up here in south Morrow County, the winter birds are here.  So I drove up to the house and got to see 500 Lapland LongSpurs, 75 Snow Buntings, 50 or more Horned Larks.

Uncle Mike feeding w corn byproduct

They love the corn stuff

Solo Snow Bunting

Horned Lark says get me some_Laplands too

Family of Buntings
I called team Snow Blunting member JKnape, and had him come up to witness the flock, plus he need Lapland Longspur for a Lifer!!! Little did he know he would get 500 of the birds to choose from.  Actually, I just got LALS as a lifer last year 1/26/13 at Uncle Mike and Beckys house. So my question is why did it take me so long to get a Lapland??? Hmmmm.  I missed Snow Bunting as a year bird in 2013, so I'll take some early for 2014 to tick off.

So with that, the cold day of half birding was over. Before I left, I got to see a Rusty Blackbird in the garden too. So my goal of getting some rarities and unique birds is working well.  Remember, in May I'm going to do a big month, so I will not start counting until then, but all these will add up to my BirdYear efforts later.

Next up?? a rare gull for Franklin county??


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2023 Big Year in Review

   Happy New Year!!! 2024, can you believe it? Wow has the time gone by fast.  This post is a recap of the year that was  #BigYear2023 🐦🐦 ...