Saturday, January 18, 2014

Black-legged Kittiwake in CBus?!?

I daily habit in the birding world, is to check your local ABA listserv.  It is a great tool/technology that we get in today's instant society.  The listserv is a free website based on the birding.aba.org that breaks down each state's current bird reports.  Birders can email in their sighting or question, and others get to read and know of all the recent goodies. The best part is, when you travel to other states for vacation, check out that states listserv, and you have free guide to what locals are seeing.

So, just after January 6th, a post on Ohio's listserv site birding.aba.org/maillist/OH reported a rare inland Code 1 gull--the Black-legged Kittiwake at Atrium Park in Worthingon, just off SR315 North.  A small, cliff-nesting gull, the Black-legged Kittiwake breeds along northern coasts and winters out at sea. The name is derived from its call, a shrill 'kittee-wa-aaake, kitte-wa-aaake'. They are fish feeders, and are more pelagic than Larus gulls outside the breeding season. They do not scavenge at tips like some other gull species

Kittiwake and it's Ring-Billed girlfriend

1st winter BLKI
 So, this was not a life bird for me, but a great First of Year(FOY) bird for me.  I missed adding this gull to my 2013 BigYear list, but I got it for 2014!!!  Typically you can see a BLKI up in Cleveland at E 72nd st warm water outlet in the winter, but don't ask me why this bird was down in Columbus, must have flown in with his buddies RBGU and HEGU.  My records show that I first saw this bird on 4/21/1992 in NagsHead, NC, with my dad Buddy Gambill. We had a beach house down there, and would go on SpringBreak to visit.

Lastly, the main purpose of this blog, is to connect with past experiences and birders along my path that have meet/know the Gambill family dynasty. And when I was watching the Kittiwake, a birder stopped by to look too, and introduced himself as Jim Adair. Turns out Jim is local CBus birder, and birding many times at GreenLawn Cemetery, and remembers meeting Red&Louise Gambill, and a little boy that was with them. Guess what? That little boy was myself!! It was great to connect, hear stories from the past, and still share in this hobby. Nothing is better than seeing a new bird with a fellow birder.

So, back to winter, and more winter Geese & Duck hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2023 Big Year in Review

   Happy New Year!!! 2024, can you believe it? Wow has the time gone by fast.  This post is a recap of the year that was  #BigYear2023 🐦🐦 ...