Sunday, September 14, 2014

Reddish Egret in Ohio??? White Morph

While I'm on vacation in Vegas, getting my lifer--Gray Flycatcher#555, I kept up on the http://birding.aba.org/maillist/OH site. Just to see what is happening in my home state. And wouldn't you know . . . someone reports a Reddish Egret seen in Delaware, Ohio.  What does this mean? Could it be a mistake? These birds don't even appear up here, usually they are in Florida or south Texas. But after all the known parties got to see the bird, it was confirmed, a white morph Reddish Egret.


White form all white with two-toned bill and dark grey legs.




Resting on the ground. DC Cormorant in foreground

Delaware county new reservoir



According to ebird.org, this is only the 2nd state record of a Reddish Egret. The first was 6/5/2008 by Craig Holt up at Conneaut Harbor, also a white morph juvenile.
A medium to large heron of shallow salt water, the Reddish Egret comes in a dark and a white form. It is a very active forager, often seen running, jumping, and spinning in its pursuit of fish.

I dipped on this bird in Florida this year, and didn't make it to South Padre Island, TX like last year; so this was a great surprise for a new FOY for me. Now all I need is the American Bittern for the year, and then for the 2nd year in a row, I'll be Ardeidae family-out, meaning I saw all of them except for the code 4's and higher. This Reddish Egret is a great add to my Ohio life list.

This puts my #BIGYEAR2014 number at #326 for the year!!

#325 Reddish Egret--9/5
#326 Savannah Sparrow--seen 8/15 at South Kuhlwein wetlands
                                       --confirmed by Ronnie Clark

Juvenile Savannah Sparrow
 Next up: Life Bird chase to the Lake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2023 Big Year in Review

   Happy New Year!!! 2024, can you believe it? Wow has the time gone by fast.  This post is a recap of the year that was  #BigYear2023 🐦🐦 ...