Sunday, October 30, 2016

Seattle 16' roundup

Well well well, it's the month of October again, and guess where I just visited? Seattle, Washington. This was my fifth year in a row visiting my best friends out in the Evergreen State. My tally has been Aug 12', Sept 13', Oct 14', 15' & 16' for visits. After this time, I know I can't go in October any more. Maybe springtime for pacific flyway migration or fall time again, but do a pelagic into the Pacific ocean or something.




I did bird two new parks this time. So new places DO produce new birds, just not any lifers seen on this trip. I did however get 15 FOYs and some great pictures of my only second viewing of a Varied Thrush.

Birding itinerary  
List of FOYs seen that day

  • Friday--Marymoor Park am, Edmunds Pier & Edmunds Marsh pm
Black capped Chickadee
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Surf scooter
Pelagic Cormorant
Western Grebe
Horned Grebe
Heermans's Gull
California Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
Wilson's Snipe
 

Marsh

I see you

Wilson's Snipe


















  •  Saturday--Discover Park, Seattle Audubon walk, am
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Varied Thursh
Bushtit

Discovery Park, South meadows overlook

Flock of Robins & a




Varied Thrush!!









Oh, have I mentioned how much I love my Cannon SX60 camera. I mean with a 65x zoom, you can go from the above picture with the arrow, to all the way zoomed in for the below close up. WOW. I highly recommend the SX50 or 60 models for a simple all-in-one mobile birding camera. Great warranty too!!






Bushtit, female, light eye

Life bird #572 10/24/2015












  • Monday--Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR in Tacoma, am
Cackling Goose
Golden-crowned Kinglet

duck duck GOOSE!?!

Aleutian Cackling Goose

Pacific Cackling Goose

 
 









Food: You have to talk about the food when you visit Seattle, it's amazing . . expensive . . . but amazing.  Some eats including award winning Calm Chowder from Duke's in Tacoma, Fried Oysters, Ahi Tuna steak, Sausage & peppers, and good olde Rainier beer
Some other pictures from the trip

SR 522 toll bridge, $4-6 each way



Peregrine Falcon

Tacoma Dome

Northern Pintail






















#2016BigYear -- #344 birds

My goal this year was to break my personal best for birding in a year since 2012. That was in 2014 when I saw 359 bird including trips to FL, CO, MO, NV & WA

So wish me luck on my last 16 birds. Ohio here I come!!  Bring on the winter migrants that I missed early in the year. Believe me, there is some easy ones I need.

Next up: Ohio or Bust@!



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2023 Big Year in Review

   Happy New Year!!! 2024, can you believe it? Wow has the time gone by fast.  This post is a recap of the year that was  #BigYear2023 🐦🐦 ...