Thursday, October 16, 2014

Ohio FOYs

It's offically fall, and the start of winter migration is upon us. A good indicator is when you see your first Yellow-Rump Warbler of the fall. I saw mine on October 8th at Battelle Darby. The past thirty days, I've been out in the field search for my remaining Ohio year birds. My list is made, I've crossed some off but I'm running out of season. So off to the races . . .

At the end of September, a winter mirgrate gull was spotted with other Ring Bills at where else . . . Alum Creek Beach SP!! That's right where the Little Gull and Caspian Tern where seen this year for me. It's my lucky bird beach.

White crescents above and below eyes
Franklin's Gull pair

A small, black-headed gull of the prairies, the Franklin's Gull is a common sight in the interior of North America, following plows to eat exposed worms, insects, and mice


















Since the gull run was in the AM, I decided a stop in the PM by Hoover Reservoir/Galena Boardwalk for a migrate Plover, but no luck. Still missing that AMPL!!! Ugh!!
Right when I'm getting to leave, I hear all the Killdeer and Yellow Legs screech and take off flying!?!  I look around and here comes flying over . . .

Peregrine Falcon

Powerful and fast-flying, the Peregrine Falcon hunts medium-sized birds, dropping down on them from high above in a spectacular stoop. They were virtually eradicated from eastern North America by pesticide poisoning in the middle 20th century. After significant recovery efforts, Peregrine Falcons have made an incredible rebound and are now regularly seen in many large cities and coastal areas



Thanks Canon for 50x Zoom










Wow!! That was a good day, 2 FOYs and almost another. Since I was on a roll, the next morning I walked the Goldenrod trail at Blendon Woods MP, and finally caught my first Tennessee Warbler. The bird was hard for me see this year. It took me over five times to see it. Last year, the TN's where all over Blendon.

public photo; TN warbler










Now I move into October, and lots of new birds start to show up. After my research,  I dediced to go back to the Teal Trail/BD and try for sparrows, rails, and of course . . .

American Bittern!!!  The last of the Ardeidae family for the year!! Yeahhhh. Only code 4&5's left which are major rarities. One the morning of the Blood Moon, 10/8th, I spotted one flying from the parking lot--back against the treeline east. As I walked towards the info sign on the northeast trail, another Bittern flushed out with a toad in it's mouth!! Sorry, no pictures again.

public photo










Last but certainly not least, thanks again to Ohio listserv, a rare migrate Red Phalarope has appeared at Buckeye Lake north boat ramp, super close. I drove over early morning of 10/15 and saw the bird floating with the Mallards. I didn't get any pictures, but below are pictures from others on FB Birding Ohio page of it.  I've only seen this bird once, on 5/15/13 as a life bird #525, in full red breeding plumage at Teal Trail/Battelle Darby.

Red Phalarope, winter plumage

Size comparison to Mallard
Notice webbed feet
Red Phalarope: Breeds along the arctic coasts of Alaska, northern Canada, and Greenland; migrates along both coasts, very rarely recorded inland. Winters mainly at sea in Southern Hemisphere. It is the most pelagic of the 3 phalarope species, spending up to 11 months each year in marine habitats

Young birds are light grey and brown above, with buff underparts and a dark patch through the eye. In winter, the plumage is essentially grey above and white below, but the black eyepatch is always present. The bill is black in winter.


























This puts my #BIGYEAR2014 number at #335 for the year!!

#331 Franklin's Gull--9/25    
#332 Peregrine Falcon--9/25
#333 Tennessee Warbler--9/26
#334  American Bittern--10/8
#335 Red Phalarope--10/15


Next up:  All a board to Seattle Washington!!!! 
Going for 20 FOYs & 6 Lifers!! Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2023 Big Year in Review

   Happy New Year!!! 2024, can you believe it? Wow has the time gone by fast.  This post is a recap of the year that was  #BigYear2023 🐦🐦 ...